9-stable: what happened to geom_labels?

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Mar 7 19:19:09 UTC 2012

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012, Peter Maloney wrote:

> On 03/06/2012 05:08 PM, Warren Block wrote:
>> A new install of 9-release, updated to 9-stable today with the GENERIC
>> kernel.
>> gpart show -l shows GPT labels, yet there isn't even a /dev/gpt
>> directory.
>>
>> Has something changed with labels?
> # Setting this to 0 will get rid of the /dev/gptid directory and you
> will see your /dev/gpt directory again.
> kern.geom.label.gptid.enable=0

This does remove /dev/gptid, but /dev/gpt did not reappear.

> # Not sure what this does; I assume it means to show either gptid (if
> not disabled above) or the original device name (eg. da0p2)
> kern.geom.label.gpt.enable=0

Setting that to 1 still does not cause the /dev/gpt directory to appear.
What's odd about this is that it did work on 8-stable recently.  A
system here with i386 8-stable from January 13 has both sysctls enabled
and both gpt and gptid directories in /dev.  So does an i386 9-stable
from February 9.  The system where they aren't appearing is amd64 from
Tuesday (March 6).

None of these systems have ZFS filesystems.