missing disk device under 9-STABLE

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 3 19:52:07 UTC 2012

Hi.

On 03.03.2012 21:08, Jeff Blank wrote:
> I attempted an upgrade last night from an old 8-STABLE (25 Apr 2011)
> to 9-STABLE and ran into a problem where a disk apparently wasn't
> detected.  I'm of course aware of the ATA/CAM changes, but I haven't
> found anything that quite explains what's happening here.  I've
> attached dmesg output from the 8-STABLE and 9-STABLE kernels as well
> as the results of 'ls -l /dev/ad*' and 'zpool status' under both
> kernels.
>
> ZFS seems to have figured out what to do about its ad4p3 member
> (switching to a gptid device), but since only ada0 is detected during
> boot, it can't complete the pool.  The weird thing is, though, that
> the other disk was actually detected on one reboot to the 9.0 kernel,
> ZFS was happy, etc.  I haven't been able to reproduce it, though.
>
> Due to these problems, I haven't upgraded userland yet and am of
> course sticking with the 8-STABLE kernel, but I can boot into the
> 9-STABLE kernel at will if anyone needs more information.

This looks like cause of the missing disk:

ahcich1: Timeout on slot 0 port 0
ahcich1: is 00000002 cs 00000000 ss 00000000 rs 00000001 tfd 50 serr
00000000 cmd 00006017
ahcich1: Timeout on slot 0 port 0
ahcich1: is 00000002 cs 00000000 ss 00000000 rs 00000001 tfd 50 serr
00000000 cmd 00006017

It tells that controller signals interrupt, but driver haven't got it.
That is even more strange after the disk on first SATA port is working
fine. You may try to add to your /boot/loader.conf line:
hint.ahci.0.msi=0
, or just set it via loader prompt.

--
Alexander Motin