audit in jail

George Mamalakis mamalos at eng.auth.gr
Fri Mar 2 17:03:00 UTC 2012

On 03/02/12 18:17, George Mamalakis wrote:
> Ah!
>
> And one more thing with respect to this issue. Since I realized that
> probably I won't be able to run audit within a jail, I tried to
> continue with my work from outside the jail. What I need is to audit
> some system users (like www) inside my jails and do stuff with their
> audit trails. In order to be able to audit www's actions, I downloaded
> setaudit from http://www.freebsd.org/~csjp/setaudit.c which allows
> this functionality. setaudit works fine from outside my jails, but
> when I run it from within a jail, I get the following error again:
>
> [root at in-jail] # setaudit -awww -mfr /bin/ls
> setaudit: setaudit_addr: Function not implemented
>
> Is there, at least, some
> easy/secure/not-whole-system-configuration-changing way to start
> apache from within a jail to be able to audit his actions from outside
> the jail?
>
> Thank you all in advance, once more.

OK, found it!

I am running:

[root at out-of-jail] setaudit -awww -m fr,fw,fa,fm,fc,fd,cl jexec  6
/usr/local/bin/sudo -u www /usr/local/sbin/apachectl startssl

from outside the jails and it works like a charm! Nasty, but at least
it's working...

Thank you all anyway!

--
George Mamalakis

IT and Security Officer
Electrical and Computer Engineer (Aristotle Un. of Thessaloniki),
MSc (Imperial College of London)

Faculty of Engineering
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki

phone number : +30 (2310) 994379