Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?

Phil Regnauld regnauld at x0.dk
Fri Jun 1 13:18:07 UTC 2012

Daniel Kalchev (daniel) writes:

> It will sure be interesting to learn what people avoid to use FreeBSD for.

	* full virtualization

	I am using VirtualBox in production with HAST + ZVOLs, but we need
	something like DRBD's dual master mode to be able to do a teleport of the
	instance like Ganeti does (http://code.google.com/p/ganeti/) with Linux

	Getting Xen dom0 and/or KVM would be a major boost as a virtualization
	platform, in particular with ZFS.

	* Gluster

	For very large FSes, nothing beats it, especially now that 3.3 has been
	released.

	Mind you, I've been using FreeBSD for about 19 years, so I'm not about
	to change, but the two items above would go a long way to help FreeBSD
	grow in the data center space again (what the kids call the cloud :)

	Cheers,
	Phil