Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Fri Jun 1 11:39:50 UTC 2012

On 01.06.12 13:19, Katinka wrote:
> There's a nice discussion going on, over at Phoronix.
> <http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?71263>
> For some reason, they don't seem to like us very much.

Do we really care?

The number of really bright people, or even people who are able to
reasonably comprehend and understand things is very, very small and more
or less constant over the years. The "rest" will always be more and
there is really no point to convince them opf anything. Evangelizing
those ignorant people to FreeBSD is just creating new (FreeBSD)
religion, which is not what the bright minds are concerned. Attract the
masses and you will definitely lose the leaders.

Instead, lead by example. Showcase. Demonstrate how superior FreeBSD is
because the people who keep it going are not interested to be the Jack
of All Trades (and master of none). Showcase implementations that are
hard to do with any other OS.

Don't even complete on benchmarks. This is one thing I learned years ago
working closely with Cisco: your competitor could always outspec you or
win the benchmark, with system specifically designed for the task. Or
tuned to the task. Just like with Linux.

This is not to say we should ignore opportunities to improve FreeBSD.
Just don't slip for the popularity vote and stay within the framework
and principles (even when you are seemingly outpaced) that made FreeBSD
so successful.

Albert Einstein once said:

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move
in the opposite direction."

Daniel

PS: This became longer than originally envisioned.