OpenSSL from Ports

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jul 30 18:37:07 UTC 2012

Am 07/30/12 20:04, schrieb Beat Siegenthaler:
> Hello,
>
> Until today, when I was asked what WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes should do.. i
> was obviously wrong:
> I think whole openssl should be replaced, but :
>
> [mym:~] # which openssl
> /usr/bin/openssl
> [mym:~] # openssl version
> OpenSSL 0.9.8x 10 May 2012
>
> there IS a 1.0.1 version but it is not found whit which or whereis:
>
> [mym:~] # /usr/local/bin/openssl version
> OpenSSL 1.0.1c 10 May 2012
>
> Maybe I simply miss some shell basics?
> Regards, Beat

Hello.

I guess you need to ensure that the path /usr/local/bin is searched
BEFORE /usr/bin. If you're using sh(1) as the standard shell of yours,
you should ensure this by using something like the following in .profile
(or .cshrc, if csh(1)):

PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:${PATH}; export PATH

for sh(1) or for csh(1)

set path = ( /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin $path )

Although I use csh(1) as the login shell, I've also set ~/.profile with
the propper PATH settings.

Since I run FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT, I have already OpenSSL 1.0.1c. I
tested which(1) and whereis(1) on the command lpr(1), which is in my
case provided by the FreeBSD base system and located in /usr/bin/lpr,
AND by the port print/cups-base by the CUPS printing system. Luckily,
since I adjusted the search paths that way, that /usr/local/bin is
searched BEFORE /usr/bin, lpr(1) is found first in /usr/local/bin:

ohartmann at thor: [~] which lpr
/usr/local/bin/lpr

But when using whereis(1), the result is the undesired:

ohartmann at thor: [~] whereis lpr
lpr: /usr/bin/lpr /usr/local/man/man1/lpr.1.gz /usr/src/usr.sbin/lpr

The manpage of whereis(1) states, that the $PATH environment variable is
searched - but this isn't obviously the case, since the shell's PATH
environment variable points to the right lpr(1) in the first place while
whereis(1) does ignore it.
This behaviour is also identical on boxes which run 24/7 with periodic
scripts enabled, updating the locate(1) database.

Am I missing something, too?

Regards,
Oliver