panic in sys/net/rtsock.c

Thomas Mueller mueller23 at insightbb.com
Sun Jul 29 08:53:34 UTC 2012

from Steve Wills <swills at FreeBSD.org>:

> I have a box running 9.0-RELEASE where I'm seeing a panic happen every
> 5-7 days. For the record, it's moving about 80-100 mbit/s of network
> traffic and has several gre tunnels setup. The box has panic'd many
> times, but due to unrelated (serial port) issues, I've only been able to
> get a complete panic once.

> I took a look at the core and did some basic debugging:
(snip)

I had something like that but not exactly with 9.0-RELEASE amd64 on an Intel Sandy Bridge system.

First time, after running two days, system froze immediately after a CVS update of the NetBSD pkgsrc tree.

After hitting Reset and rebooting, about 48 hours later, I was not at the computer but was with hearing range.

I heard the sound of rebooting, got to the computer immediately to control where it rebooted to, and this time I csup-updated FreeBSD source tree using RELENG_9, which is STABLE.  I rebuilt the system, that solved the problem, STABLE proved stabler than 9.0-RELEASE.

I did this without asking on any FreeBSD emailing list.

Seeing there were updates to Intel Sandy Bridge graphics only available in STABLE or HEAD persuaded me to switch from RELEASE to STABLE.

Tom