Keyboard cutting off soon after launching X

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Jul 26 17:03:08 UTC 2012

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, Erich Dollansky wrote:

> I ran FreeBSD since 8 on this machine but I have had to start finding a
> new setting for xorg.conf to make X working again after a recent
> upgrade.
>
> Enable moused in rc.conf and the following from xorg.conf helped me this
> time:
>
> #
> # 24.07.12 ed:	we enable the mouse and see what will happen.
> #
> Section "ServerLayout"
> 	Identifier     "X.org Configured"
> 	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
> 	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"	# 24.07.12 ed:
> enabled for 1.7.7 #	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection
>
> Section	"ServerFlags"
> 	Option	"AllowEmptyInput"	"false"	#
> 16.07.10 ed: enabled for 1.7.5 # 24.07.12 ed: disabled for 1.7.7
> 													#
> 16.07.12 ed:	setting it to false
> #					freezes X until mouse
> #					moves #
> Option	"AutoAddDevices"	"false" EndSection
>
> I have had to define the mouse as InputDevice and set AllowEmptyInput
> to false.

The comment wrap there is very confusing.  But please stop using
AllowEmptyInput.  It was so misused that it has even been removed from
later versions of xorg.
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html

There is an interaction with hald and moused that makes it worthwhile
lately for some users to run moused from rc.conf.  There may be a
similar interaction with kbdmux(4) or some other keyboard component for
keyboards.

hald can be improved greatly by its absence.