Graphics Performance with the new KMS Driver...

Pierre-Luc Drouin pldrouin at pldrouin.net
Mon Jul 16 18:25:20 UTC 2012

Hi,

I just installed FreeBSD 9-stable on a new desktop machine equipped with an
i3 2120 CPU (HD Graphics 2000). I compiled xorg with WITH_NEW_XORG=true and
WITH_KMS=true, following the instructions on
http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU . Xorg seems to be running without
crashing and I have confirmed that direct rendering is enabled using
glxinfo, which is great. However, I only get about 9 fps with GLPlanet and
I can't play (non-HD) Youtube videos fullscreen on a 1080p monitor without
severe noticeable hangs. I was wondering if it is normal to observe this
not so great performance. I could not do a direct comparison on the same
machine unfortunately, but I get a drastically better graphics performance
with GLPlanet from my laptop running Gentoo and equipped with an i7 2860QM
CPU (HD Graphics 3000). I get a frame rate of about 60 fps fullscreen on a
1080p monitor with that laptop.

So basically I would be interested to know:
-Is it normal to obtain that kind of performance from these i3 CPUs when
running FreeBSD?
-How does the graphics performance compare between Linux and FreeBSD with
the new KMS driver?

Thanks!