Odd ttyvN TERM settings

George Mitchell george+freebsd at m5p.com
Sun Jul 8 14:00:24 UTC 2012

Up through FreeBSD 8.x, the ttyvN consoles had a TERM setting of cons25.
On FreeBSD 9.n, it appears to be xterm for ttyv0, but it's still cons25
for ttyv1-ttyv8 (even though they all appear to act like xterms).  Not
surprisingly, this leads to less than desirable results when trying to
run vi (or other such programs) on ttyv1 through ttyv8, unless you
remember to setenv TERM xterm.

Why did we change from cons25 to xterm?  How can we get all the ttyvNs
to get the correct TERM setting?                      -- George Mitchell