Recommendation for Hyervisor to host FreeBSD

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Thu Jul 5 12:45:03 UTC 2012

Am Thu, 05 Jul 2012 12:43:06 +0100
schrieb Pete French <petefrench at ingresso.co.uk>:

> So, my work surprise for a Thursday morning is an urgent requirement
> to see if we can run a set of FreeBSD machines under virtualised
> servers. I have not done this before personally, but I notice from
> post here that it doesnt seem uncommon, and I see Xen related commits
> flowing past, so I am guessing it is doable.
>
> So, for running 8 or 9 STABLE can anyone recommend which hypervisor
> works best, and is 8 or 9 better as the OS to run ? Am doing a bit
> of research myself, but nothing beats persoanl experience in these
> matters!

AFAIK, there are no VMware-tools for FreeBSD9 (yet).
So, if you need to use ESXi/vSphere, then stay with 8.3 for the time
being.

There are KVM-drivers for FreeBSD 8.3 and 9.0 in the ports.

Also, full, native support for MSFT-HyperV is coming to FreeBSD9.

I wouldn'd bother with the free VMware-server.

AFAIK, the latest vcenter has a web-console, so you don't need a
Windows VM just to manage your virtualized FreeBSD instances.
Hopefully, someone else will have to do all the heavy-lifting of
maintaining all the virtualization-infrastructure.