9.0-STABLE: Can't umount umass device

Vincent Hoffman vince at unsane.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 17:37:21 UTC 2012

On 04/07/2012 14:17, George Mitchell wrote:
> On 07/04/12 00:42, Ian Lepore wrote:
>> <snip>

>> Are you running a desktop environment that automatically launches
>> gam_server to watch for changes on mounted filesystems?  If so, the fix
>> is to edit /usr/local/etc/gamin/gaminrc and tell it to use polling
>> rather than kernel notification on the mount points you use for
>> removable media.
>>
>> -- Ian

> Thanks, this was the problem.  By the way, here between these two rows
> of equals signs is the total amount of documentation that the gamin
> port/package installed on my system:
> Google showed me what to put in my /usr/local/etc/gamin/gaminrc file:
>
> poll /flash
>
> I appreciate the help!                                     -- George
To be fair the pkg-message for the port says

jhary at ostracod $ cd
(18:35:30 <~>) 0
jhary at ostracod $ pkg_info -D gamin-0.1.10_4
Information for gamin-0.1.10_4:

Install notice:

Gamin will only provide realtime notification of changes for at most n
files,
where n is the minimum value between (kern.maxfiles * 0.7) and
(kern.maxfilesperproc - 200). Beyond that limit, files will be polled.

If you often open several large folders with Nautilus, you might want to
increase the kern.maxfiles tunable (you do not need to set
kern.maxfilesperproc, since it is computed at boot time from kern.maxfiles).

For a typical desktop, add the following line to /boot/loader.conf, then
reboot the system:

    kern.maxfiles="25000"

The behavior of gamin can be controlled via the various gaminrc files.
See http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/config.html on how to create
these files.  In particular, if you find gam_server is taking up too much
CPU time polling for changes, something like the following may help
in one of the gaminrc files:

# reduce polling frequency to once per 10 seconds
# for UFS file systems in order to lower CPU load
fsset ufs poll 10