mountd suddenly stopped working

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Sun Jul 1 12:05:37 UTC 2012

Jason Hellenthal wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 09:07:17PM +0000, Marcin Wisnicki wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 16:21:18 +0200, Ronald Klop wrote:

> > > Than probably somebody changed something else. Can you provide the
> > > content of your exports file?
> > >

> > OK, I've found the reason.
> >
> > There were two paths exported with same attributes:
> >
> > /tftpboot -ro -mapall=nobody
> > /vol/tank1 -ro -mapall=nobody
> >
> > As long as there is a filesystem mounted on /vol/tank1, above
> > exports
> > will work. Since I've disconnected that drive, there was nothing
> > mounted
> > this time.
> >
> > Apparently mountd does not allow exporting multiple paths from a
> > single
> > filesystem on separate lines if they happen to have identical
> > attributes.
> >

> Its been like that for a long time. I remember running into this way
> back on 6.X and 5.X.
>
> The solution is to:
>
> /tftpboot /vol/tank1 -ro -mapall=nobody

Yea, since it doesn't specify any host/network, it is the "default"
entry that covers "the rest of the world". As such, there can only
be one/server file system.

So, if /tftpboot and /vol/tank are the same server file system,
the above makes mountd happy. (I tend to use -alldirs instead of
listing the mount directories, because I find it less confusing,
but that's personal taste.)

rick