LSI supported mps(4) driver in stable/9 and stable/8

Kenneth D. Merry ken at freebsd.org
Tue Feb 14 17:16:31 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 15:08:45 +0100, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> According to Kenneth D. Merry:
> > The LSI-supported version of the mps(4) driver that supports their 6Gb SAS
> > HBAs as well as WarpDrive controllers, is now in stable/9 and stable/8.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > Note that the CAM infrastructure changes that went into FreeBSD/head along
> > with this driver have not gone into either stable/9 or stable/8.  Only the
> > driver itself has been merged.
> >
> > The CAM infrastructure changes depend on some other da(4) driver changes
> > that will need to get merged before they can go back.  If that merge
> > happens, it will probably only be into stable/9.
>
> Got an ETA for this?  Saying differently, is it reasonable to run stable/9 with the new driver but w/o the CAM changes?  What do these changes bring BTW?  Sorry, been out-of-touch these days :(

No ETA for the CAM changes.  I need to talk with Alexander Motin about it,
and I haven't gotten around to that.  Too busy with other things.

The changes just allow the driver to get notification from CAM about read
capacity data instead of having the driver probe by itself.  The probe in
the driver for stable is kludgy, but does work.

So it is perfectly fine to run the driver in stable/9 or stable/8 without
the CAM changes.

The latest mps(4) driver changes have been merged into stable/9 and
stable/8, so this would be a good time to try it out.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken at FreeBSD.org