Building the kernel and userland with llvm/clang

Jamie Paul Griffin jamie at kode5.net
Tue Aug 28 16:54:57 UTC 2012

[ David Wolfskill wrote on Tue 28.Aug'12 at  8:46:21 -0700 ]

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 04:32:03PM +0100, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I've been reading some information about building my system, FreeBSD Stable/9, using llvm/clang; the site I've been looking at is http://wiki.freebsd.org/BuildingFreeBSDWithClang.
> >
> > I was wondering about the benefits of doing so and also - and probably more importantly - if there are potential problems that might mean it's not worthwhile doing. Having read it again today there doesn't seem to be any likely problems
> >
> > I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice about this if possible.
>
> I have been doing this (on a daily basis) with both head & stable/9 on
> my home "build machine" and my laptop since 12 Jul 2012; I have seen no
> problems or issues.  (I build my ports under stable/8 & have /usr/local
> in common across all 4 slices on each machine.)
>
> Here's what's in my /etc/src.conf for stable/9:
>
> CC=clang
> CXX=clang++
> CPP=clang-cpp
> WITH_LIBCPLUSPLUS=yes
>
> When I update my "production" machines at home from stable/8 to stable/9
> (probably shortly after 9.1 is released), they will (by necessity) also
> migrate to FreeBSD built with llvm/clang (as they get installed what the
> build machine builds).
>
> Peace,
> david

Thanks David, that's helpful information. I'll likely give it a go. So does clang create better binaries and libraries, in terms of performance and such-like? I'm currently reading as much as I can find about clang and its associated tools; however, compilers are quite complex software and learning about them is, for me at least, a lot to take in.

Best wishes, Jamie.