Temperature too high when high overload

Erich Dollansky erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com
Mon Aug 27 14:04:58 UTC 2012

Gi,

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 20:44:59 +0800
Mike Manilone <crtmike at gmx.us> wrote:

> I just switched from Fedora Linux to FreeBSD. But I noticed a

I did the same on my notebook some time ago.

> problem, the CPU temperature will be very high when the load is high.

It was the same for me while Fedora was running.

> One of my friends told me, "FreeBSD doesn't support your ACPI well"
> but I noticed that while I'm not compiling ports, the temperature
> will be not too high.

This could be true.

> Just now I'm building LLVM, here's what I've seen:
>
>      > sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature
>      hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 84.5C
>      > pkill make
>      > sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature
>      hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 67.5C
>
> I'm using Dell Vostro 3400 laptop PC with FreeBSD 9.1-RC1.

I did not look for the CPU this machine has. My notebook has a i7 and
it runs on 96 degree centigrade when the CPU is under 100% load. It
would shut down at 99 degree centigrade.

>      > uname -a
>      FreeBSD bsd.laptop.mike 9.1-RC1 FreeBSD 9.1-RC1 #0: Tue Aug 14
> 04:25:06 UTC 2012
> root at farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> There's my dmesg message: http://slexy.org/view/s21b7xTTsu
>
> Anyone knows how to fix this problem?  Thank you.

I do not know much about the differences between i3 and i7 but I would
expect that both can run until 99 degree centigrade before they have to
shut down.

Erich