Temperature too high when high overload

Mike Manilone crtmike at gmx.us
Mon Aug 27 13:51:19 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I just switched from Fedora Linux to FreeBSD. But I noticed a problem,
the CPU temperature will be very high when the load is high. Especially
while I am building C++ programs. It shut down for even 3 times while I
was building Firefox/Thunderbird, just because of high temperature (86.5C).

One of my friends told me, "FreeBSD doesn't support your ACPI well" but
I noticed that while I'm not compiling ports, the temperature will be
not too high.

Just now I'm building LLVM, here's what I've seen:

     > sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature
     hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 84.5C
     > pkill make
     > sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature
     hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 67.5C

I'm using Dell Vostro 3400 laptop PC with FreeBSD 9.1-RC1.
     > uname -a
     FreeBSD bsd.laptop.mike 9.1-RC1 FreeBSD 9.1-RC1 #0: Tue Aug 14
04:25:06 UTC 2012
root at farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

There's my dmesg message: http://slexy.org/view/s21b7xTTsu

Anyone knows how to fix this problem?  Thank you.

Yours Sincerely,
Mike Manilone