FreeBSD 9.1-RC1 Available...

Ben Morrow ben at morrow.me.uk
Sat Aug 25 04:05:20 UTC 2012

Quoth Ken Smith <kensmith at buffalo.edu>:

> The latter.  If you are not using FreeBSD-Update to handle the updates
> of a machine you'll need to update your source tree using SVN for
> release branches (releng/*) from now on.  Updates of the CVS repository
> will continue for the existing stable/* and head for now.  I don't think
> anything has been decided on when that will stop.

Two questions:

1. Is is sensible|supported to use freebsd-update to update just the src
component, followed by a normal buildworld/buildkernel to update the
rest of the system? I would much prefer to avoid having to use svn,
especially given that it isn't in the base system.

2. If I have patched my source tree, what will freebsd-update do? csup
resets the patched files to the versions in the new tree, which is
satisfactory (I can reapply any patches afterwards, adjusting them if
necessary), but if freebsd-update leaves a mixture of new-and-unpatched
and old-and-patched files in the tree that could be a problem. (Not an
insoluble problem, of course, especially with ZFS snapshots.)

Ben