GEOM_RAID in GENERIC 9.1

Gabor Radnai gabor.radnai at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 08:44:25 UTC 2012

Sorry the content of original mail I replied to was missed. For
clarity here it is:

>On 30.07.2012 11:04, Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:
>>
>> I am aware about how this thing works and what it does. However, every
>> time I upgrade new server I got hit by it again and again, simply
>> forgetting to remove it from the kernel's config.
>>
>> I'm afraid this thing will hit lots of FreeBSD installations after the
>> release; it may be easily removed but still it will poison the life of
>> many engineers and I really think it's a bomb, and should be removed
>> from GENERIC.
>>
>Okay, I feel like I need to clarify this, as some decent guys pointed me
>out that I'm very unclear and even rude (sorry for that, that's
>unintentional).
>
>GEOM_RAID was inserted instead of ataraid, but ataraid wasn't messing
>with zpooled disks: with GEOM_RAID the kernel takes both (in case of
>mirrored pool) providers, and mountroot just fails, as it sees no zfs pool.
>
>Plus, it's even more. This time I have "disabled" the raid in it's
>"BIOS" before installing FreeBSD. After mountroot failed, I booted 9.0-R
>from usb flash, trying to avoid any surgery with kernel files, like
>manual install from another machine. I was curious if I will be able to
>resolve this issue using base utilities. So, I loaded geom_raid via
>'graid load', kernel said like 'Doh... I have ada0/ada1 spare disks',
>then I tried to remove the softraid label remains with 'graid remove' -
>and it failed, because there's no array at all, only "spares". So, the
>'graid status' is empty, 'graid list' is empty' and it's obvious that
>some surgery is needed.
>
>And I'm not disappointed that it's happened to me, no, because I know
>how to resolve this.
>But the thing that I'm really afraid of is that this default option will
>hit the less experienced engineers.
>
>Eugene.

My reply again then:

Unfortunately I am a less experienced user so no clue how to disable
GEOM_RAID but i am hit by this issue. My zfs setup is totally messed up.
Would appreciate if you could share the trick.

Additionally: building a new kernel solves the issue naturally but is there
anything more convenient solution? What is your trick?

Thanks in advance,
Gabor

(and sorry for messing up the mail thread)