Who is responsible for Heimdal/Kerberos in FreeBSD

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Fri Aug 3 15:39:57 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 12:51:17PM +0100, Attila Bogár wrote:
> On 02/08/12 16:04, Chris Nehren wrote:
> >Rather than sending repeated mails to the list (which you've
> >already seen get dropped on the floor), consider using the proper
> >channels for reporting bugs. Send a PR. See
> >http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html for more information.
> Unfortunately I have to disagree with you.

You should have initially been directed to the following file, where
various committers can "claim" various parts of the src code:

  http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/MAINTAINERS?view=log

That's the good news.  The bad news is that no one has claimed those
two areas.

> Certainly I can report another PR with the problems I spotted and
> wait 2 years before I get an answer, but I don't call that problem
> solving.

I understand your frustration.  Right now we have far more Problem
Reports than we have committers to handle them.

> However I think, it's more sad, that the freebsd developer community
> is just ignoring the patches they are sent and doesn't considers
> quality assurance.

It's not that they are ignored.  It's that we lack sufficient manpower
to process them all.  For instance, we have no paid staff to look after
Problem Reports, even the ones with patches.

I am hoping that when we replace GNATS that it will finally be possible
for people to "vote on" problems that they would like to see fixed.

mcl