nsswitch problem ...

Teratux raespi at uci.cu
Fri Sep 30 15:01:03 UTC 2011

Hi ... I've been trying for some time now to allow offline logging in my
pc which connects to a LDAP server.  I've configured my nsswitch.conf
like so:

passwd:         cache files ldap #compat
group:          cache files ldap #compat
shadow:         cache files ldap #compat

hosts:          cache files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
networks:       cache files

protocols:      db files
services:       cache db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis

My nscd daemon is also configured to hold it's cache for a long period
of time.  When I reboot my machine I cannot login as an LDAP user
eventhough the nscd is running ( using the $id <user> command ).  I'm
simulating an offline environment shutting down the ethernet link so
there's no connection with the ldap server and to test if the nsswitch
mechanism works.  Unfortunately it doesn't.  Checking the
/var/log/auth.log when I try to login as an LDAP user I see messages of
nss_ldap trying to locate the ldap server, and ignoring my cache.

Can anyone help me ??

Thanks ...