Running portupgrade from cron (was: /usr/bin/script eating 100% cpu with portupgrade and xargs)

Ross basarevych at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 11:35:28 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de> wrote:
> Am 23.10.2011 um 13:11 schrieb Ross:

>>> What specifically is your concern here?
>>
>> And what you will get with ignoring /usr/ports/UPDATING when this happens:
>> 20100328:
>> AFFECTS: users of graphics/png
>> AUTHOR: dinoex at FreeBSD.org
>>
>> The PNG library has been updated to version 1.4.1.  Please rebuild all
>> ports that depend on it.
>
> And where exactly did I say that I never read UPDATING, and that I wouldn't follow it's instructions?

Yes, but updating correctly in first place is better than trying to
understand what happened to software looking for libpng.so.N when
there is libpng.so.N+1 and _then_ reading UPDATING is better, don't
you think?

Other point is that during update daemons never restarted. But
sometimes stopped, dovecot, for example, if I'm not mistaken. Do you
also reboot after each cron update?