/usr/bin/script eating 100% cpu with portupgrade and xargs

Jilles Tjoelker jilles at stack.nl
Fri Oct 14 12:03:38 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:25:35PM +0100, Adrian Wontroba wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 01:27:07AM +0100, Adrian Wontroba wrote:
> > I won't be in a position to create a simpler test case, raise a PR or
> > try patches till Tuesday evening (UK) at the earliest.

> So far I have been unable to reproduce the problem with portupgrade (and
> will probably move to portmaster).

> I have however found a different but possibly related problem with the
> new version of script in RELENG_8, for which I have raised this PR:

> misc/161526: script outputs corrupt if input is not from a terminal

> Blast, should of course been bin/

The extra ^D\b\b are the EOF character being echoed. These EOF
characters are being generated by the new script(1) to pass through the
EOF condition on stdin.

One fix would be to change the termios settings temporarily to disable
the echoing but this may cause problems if the application is changing
termios settings concurrently and generally feels bad.

It may be best to remove writing EOF characters, perhaps adding an
option to enable it again if there is a concrete use case for it.

--
Jilles Tjoelker