8.2 + apache == a LOT of sigprocmask

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 17 11:32:19 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
> I don't use worker MPM on any of our boxes, we actually use ITK MPM
> solely because of the hosting nature of what we do.  I've actually never
> seen worker MPM in use on any *IX machine I've been on or administrated,
> only prefork.  The Apache documentation even mentions that "if you want
> stability or compatibility, prefork is the choice", while "if you want
> scalability, worker is a better choice"[1].  These sorts of quotes often
> shock me given what year it is.  :-)

I've used both worker and event MPMs in production on high volume
sites for > 4 years now, running on FreeBSD 7, with no problems. I
think you are cherry picking the quotes from httpd's 2.0
documentation, which is actually an old bit of software now - it has
just been voted EOL. The current stable (2.2) docs actually say:

"sites that need a great deal of scalability can choose to use a
threaded MPM like worker or event, while sites requiring stability or
compatibility with older software can use a prefork"

Event and worker have no issues unless you run non thread safe
modules, or modules which use libraries which are not thread safe, eg
PHP (more commonly, a PHP extension).

Cheers

Tom