mountlate not late enough for nfe0 with dhcp

Clifton Royston cliftonr at volcano.org
Thu May 26 23:20:43 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 04:14:47PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 11:35:41PM +0200, William Palfreman wrote:
> > I find my nfe0 interface on my media server (an Acer Revo Atom) has not
> > finished dhcp by the time /etc/rc.d/mountlate is run, or
> > /etc/rc.d/mountcritremote.  So the two NFS filesystems I want to mount cause
> > booting to halt in the most inconvenient manner possible for a machine with
> > no keyboard.
> This has been discussed at length in the past, causing me to write an
> rc.d script to work around the problem.  You can drop this script into
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d, chmod 755 it, and make use of it appropriately.
> The comments in the script should help you understand it.
>
> http://jdc.parodius.com/freebsd/netwait
>
> Example entries in rc.conf:
>
> netwait_enable="yes"
> netwait_ip="4.2.2.1 4.2.2.2"
> netwait_if="em0"
>
> I can point you to lengthy discussions on the mailing lists about this
> problem if need be, but they're from last year or the year before.  They
> basically discuss the problem and are what caused me to write what I
> did.

  Ah yes, I'll also plug Jeremy's script.  I don't use it with NFS, but
I use it (for example) to keep ntpd from trying to come up when it has
no peers because the firewall machine hasn't yet come back up, after a
power outage

  -- Clifton

--
   Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at volcano.org