Daily backups of pkgdb failure

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 5 07:09:43 UTC 2011

On 05/04/2011 23:56, Hans Ottevanger wrote:
> On 05/05/11 04:43, Doug Barton wrote:
>> On 05/04/2011 04:49, Hans Ottevanger wrote:
>>> make -f/usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk -V PKG_DBDIR
>>> "/usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk", line 11: Could not find
>>> /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk
>>> make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
>>
>> I fixed this in HEAD by setting the default if pulling it from make
>> fails. I will MFC ASAP.
>>

> Of course this will solve my "problem" 8-)
>
> But if you use something like
>
> pkg_dbdir=${PKG_DBDIR-/var/db/pkg}
>
> you will also cover the (infrequent) case where people redefine
> PKG_DBDIR while running pkg_add et al (and actually remember to set
> PKG_DBDIR in /etc/crontab !).

To be honest, I don't care. If you are doing this kind of thing you
deserve what you get.

If you really want to move your PKG_DBDIR and can't be bothered to
define it correctly, use a symlink. Or, if that's a problem, disable the
backup. This "problem" is not going to affect the overwhelming number of
freebsd users, and I don't think going through a lot of gymnastics to
support people who do silly things is a good idea for either side.