Best way to switch from Linux to BSD

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 18:57:53 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Andriy Gapon <avg at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Strange.  I followed some instructions that I googled up and it was like
> "install
> these two ports and run that command" and everything worked.   And still
> does :)
>
> (I think that it was www/linux-f10-flashplugin10, www/nspluginwrapper and
> running
> nspluginwrapper -v -i
> /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
> as a user for which I enabled the plugin).

Ditto, flash has usable for years via the linux plugin.  It's not perfect
and those stalls are really annoying, but then again flash doesn't work
perfectly on my Windows XP VM either.

I've used FreeBSD as desktop and server install for years,  and it's been
good.  I do everything I'd do on a commercial OS.

My policy is if a friend or family calls me for support, the third time I
have to go to their place and find malware I move them to FreeBSD.  I don't
have to travel so much anymore but I still get the occasional thing like
/tmp being full.  Now it's easy though because ssh still works quite well
over a slow DSL link.

Whatever your desktop system runs, there is a certain overhead to learn and
maintain it.  Maybe FreeBSD is a little higher than others, but the for me
the net gain is worth it.  I don't have the brain capacity to learn the ins
and outs of every Linux distro that exists, and all the major ones I'm
familiar with have flaws I'd rather not adopt.

To come back to the original thread question:

You were basically scolded a week or two ago because you continued to ask
rudimentary questions that are covered by the handbook.  You disregarded
that advice, but I'll try again.  RTFM.  If you would bother to actually
read stuff before asking questions, many of those questions would not
exist.  IMO, FreeBSD documentation is one of it's biggest advantages. If
you're not going to utilize it what is the point in adopting the OS?

I think a entry on people who are obsessed with collecting OS's warrants an
entry in the DSM IV.

--
Adam Vande More