Best way to switch from Linux to BSD

Michal Varga varga.michal at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 18:20:09 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 10:51 -0700, Matthew Fleming wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Michal Varga <varga.michal at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Here too. How is "desktop support" on FreeBSD lacking?
>
> I realize a desktop means many things to many people, but the biggest
> thing holding me back from using FreeBSD on a desktop is flash
> support.  I spent a little time trying to follow online instructions
> and I didn't get anything working.

Lack of Flash support - a proprietary closed exploit-ridden hellhole -
sorry, I mean - "application" - that's in no way tied to FreeBSD and
controlled by a legendarily uncompetent company that blantantly refuses
to release a FreeBSD version of this very fine and awesome rootkit (a
good decision that one can only support, so really, what's the issue) is
hardly something that could even remotely be FreeBSD's fault. I mean,
this is what we're talking about:

http://secunia.com/advisories/search/?search=adobe+flash

But even in a completely hypothetical scenario where Flash wouldn't be
the world's most famous never-ending exploit carnival in the entire
existence of the universe, how that makes FreeBSD less desktop friendly
or less desktop capable? Adobe decided to not release their software on
FreeBSD (again, thank you Adobe, that's a thousand less attack vectors
daily to worry about), but there is no issue with FreeBSD with regard to
that, isn't it? This isn't the case that "FreeBSD broke the Flash" (ok,
this isn't funny anymore), there was never any FreeBSD Flash in the
first place. So no FreeBSD issue exists, or at least I can't see it, or
maybe I simply don't get something here.

There is also no Microsoft Windows Management Console for FreeBSD, does
it make FreeBSD lacking, insufficient, or broken in some specific server
area?

m.

--
Michal Varga,