Best way to switch from Linux to BSD

Andriy Gapon avg at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 29 17:20:59 UTC 2011

on 29/03/2011 19:43 Paul Schmehl said the following:
> FreeBSD is first and foremost a server OS.  Desktop support is lacking when
> compared to the other major OSes (Windows, Mac and Linux).  You can make it work,
> if you want to, but that's not what its primary function is.

Chiming in on a random post.
FreeBSD is whatever its users and developers make it to be.
FreeBSD is positioned as a general purpose OS and different people use it in very
different ways.  From embedded through servers to desktops.  Yes, really.

You can share your experience about FreeBSD as a desktop, I can share mine (which
is quite different from yours), those would be interesting (and perhaps useful)
anecdotes.
But, please, let's refrain from labeling FreeBSD and cornering it into some niche.

--
Andriy Gapon