FreeBSD partitioning

Zhihao Yuan lichray at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 21:42:34 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Jason Hsu <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com> wrote:
> How does partitioning work in FreeBSD?  GParted recognizes FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, ext2, ext3, ext4, swap, and many other formats but labels the FreeBSD partition as unknown.  Then there are the sub-partitions within the main FreeBSD partition.

Check the manual here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/install-steps.html

I think the first thing you need to understand is, FreeBSD is a UNIX
running on x86, not a UNIX rewrote for x86. So the x86-only concept,
such as the partitions, may not apply to FreeBSD. In FreeBSD, the term
`slice' refers to a record in MBR or GPT table, aka., a partition in
x86 world. In a slice, we can use either bsdlabel to create UFS
partitions, or install a ZFS pool. So, may be some day gparted can
recognize a freebsd slice, it can never labels UFS partitions.

> I'm finding it much more difficult to learn BSD than it was to learn Linux.  However, I'm sure it will be worth it, as BSD is legendary for stability and is the basis for Mac OS and other proprietary systems.

Just ask questions in the mailling lists and forums. We answer your
questions for free :)

> --
> Jason Hsu <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com>

Zhihao Yuan