if_bridge and IPv6

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Fri Mar 11 00:32:39 UTC 2011

Hi,
I have a bridge interface with em0 and tap0/tap1 on it to run a layer 2 VPN.

I find that em0 gets an IPv6 link local address but bridge0 does not (via net.inet6.ip6.auto_linklocal). I did some googling and it seems that this is a deliberate policy decision, and unfortunately you can't change it on a per interface basis :)

It would be nice if I could suppress automatic link local for em0 and enable it on bridge0 rather than having to delete & add them manually.

Also, does anyone have a code snippet handy for generating link local addresses? My google-fu was unable to find a description..

Thanks :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum