Disable probing of bge1?

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Mon Mar 7 12:26:08 UTC 2011

Hi, all,

I just discovered a minor problem when updating some rather dated
systems from FreeBSD 6.x to 7.x or 8.x.

The servers are Fujitsu Technology Solutions (former Fujitsu-Siemens)
RX100 S4. The current generation of the same system is RX100 S6, so this
is two generations old. Some of them still run fine in our datacenter, though.

While the S5 and S6 series features two gigabit ports and an additional
network interface for out of band management (called iRMC, similar to HP's iLO),
the S4 has only two gigabit ports and the iRMC interface is piggybacked to
one of them.

In our standard setup we disable the first interface in the BIOS. If you do this,
the physical port is available as a dedicated management interface to the iRMC
and only the second IF is probed by FreeBSD 6.x as bge0.

Now I try to PXE boot an identically configured system via the remote serial
console with FreeBSD 7. Everything runs fine, until the kernel probes the
network interfaces. The last thing I see are messages about successful
probing of both bge0 and bge1 and then my remote management connection
and my console are gone.

I have to reset the BMC by literally pulling the power to get the iRMC back.

Is it possible to use some device.hints entry to prohibit the probing of bge1?
I think that would be the easiest solution to the problem? Other suggestions
are of course welcome. I can provide more config details and dmesg output
if needed.

Thanks,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100