Question about packages installed via `pkg_add -r`

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Mar 6 21:18:30 UTC 2011

On 06/03/2011 08:27, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Last time I tried it, pkg_add -r -K did indeed save local copies of
> the packages fetched from the remote repository, but a problem arose
> when one later wanted to _use_ that local stash while falling back to
> -r behavior for anything not found locally.  Last I knew there was no
> easy way to tell pkg_add to do that.

Interestingly, portmaster(8) is good for doing that.  These two lines in
portmasterrc (or the equivalent command line options: --packages,
--local-packagedir) make portmaster try to install a package from a
local package repository first, then fall back to fetching packages from
the net, and only then try building the port:

PM_PACKAGES=first
LOCAL_PACKAGEDIR=/usr/ports/packages

Which is what you want.  Or perhaps 'PM_PACKAGES=only' which only uses
pkgs and doesn't build any ports.

Personally I find these most useful combined with a third option:

PM_PACKAGES_LOCAL=pmp_local

(Cmd line: --packages-local) which makes portmaster try to install pkgs
from a local repository first, and failing that, build the port.

Oh, and to save anyone needlessly re-downloading packages: if you've got
the port / package already installed, then you can recreate the pkg
tarball easily by:

    # pkg_create -b pkg-name

Add a '-R' to that to create pkg tarballs for everything pkg-name
depends on too.  pkg-name will include the version number as shown in
eg. 'pkg_info -Ia' output.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3