Building your own FreeBSD USB memstick image

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jun 18 02:14:28 UTC 2011

On 6/17/11 10:01 PM, Glen Barber wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On 6/17/11 9:22 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> CC'ing Ken, Nathan, and Martin since they all have some insight to this
>> procedure.
>>
>> Given the recent MFC of graid(8) to RELENG_8, I'd like to make my own
>> FreeBSD USB memstick image but with the latest RELENG_8 kernel/world.
>>
>> For the USB memstick, I've found src/release/scripts/make-memstick.sh,
>> but there's no real explanation as to what "/path/to/directory" should
>> be, and that's probably because I'm not familiar with the "build a
>> base system" infrastructure.
>>

> /path/to/directory should be the 'R/' directory from the 'make release'
> process, a subdirectory of the CHROOTDIR target.

Oops, my mistake.  There's more to the hierarchy that I neglected.

'/path/to/directory' in my case is
'/usr/release/R/cdrom/disc1/8-STABLE', where '/usr/release' is CHROOTDIR.

Again, I'd be happy to be proven wrong, or inaccurate.

Regards,

--
Glen Barber | gjb at FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD Documentation Project