SATA 6g 4-port non-RAID controller ?

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 27 09:38:37 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 11:55 PM, Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:

> And before someone asks: in most cases you *cannot* use this card in a
> PCIe x16 connector on a motherboard.  Most generic motherboard
> manufacturers at this point have special one-offs that assume their PCIe
> x16 slots are for video cards only.  If you aren't sure, you'll need to
> ask your motherboard manufacturer/vendor if you can use a
> non-VGA-adapter in their PCIe x16 slot.  Some Supermicro boards do have
> PCIe x16 slots that can be used by non-VGA adapters, but I haven't seen
> this on, say, Asus/Gigabyte/Dell/Intel motherboards.

Jeremy may not have seen PCI express x16 HBAs working on consumer
boards, but I have, plenty of times.

I don't know why the FUD, but I have had no problems with an Intel
SASUC8I (LSI 1068 based) running on an Asus P5Q Pro, a simple consumer
P45 chipset. I'm not unique, many people have success doing this.

Cheers

Tom