powernow regression in 8-STABLE

Callum Gibson callumgibson at optusnet.com.au
Sat Jul 23 08:13:07 UTC 2011

On 22Jul11 08:16, John Baldwin wrote:
}The problem is that we calibrate the TSC using this algorithm:
}
} - grab the TSC
} - spin on the ISA timer waiting for it to run for a second
} - grab the TSC
}
}The issue is that the SMI# fires at the same time we want to be execuiting
}step 3, and step 3 is deferred while the SMI# handler runs.  As a result, the
}TSC delta ends up being "1 second + time of an SMI# to poll USB".  We have a
}hack fix for this at work that originally came from Attilio Rao.  This is a
}patch for it relative to 8.  It disables interrupt generation for the ISA
}timer while we calibrate the TSC (which disables the SMI# temporarily):

Thanks, John. The hack works as intended, but I guess it's not a "real"
solution which is why you haven't committed it?

Callum Gibson @ home
http://members.optusnet.com.au/callumgibson/