OS X Lion time machine => (afpd|iSCSI) => ZFS question

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Thu Jul 21 22:40:46 UTC 2011

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 15:28:08 PDT Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com>  wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2011, at 2:56 PM, Bakul Shah wrote:
> > I am in no hurry to upgrade my MBP to OS X Lion but given Lion
> > time machine and netatalk issues,
>
> Which issues?  (And did you file a bug report?  :-)

Google `os x lion netatalk time machine'! But briefly, a newer
version of the appletalk protocol is used with lion time
machine which is not supported by netatalk in the ports.
netafp.com (I think that is the right name) has a new version
but at least for now it is closed source (only their customers
get it -- whether they are breaking the GPL or not is a
discussion belongs elsehere). The version in sourceforge is
not quite upto snuff from what I hear.

> > I got wondering if iSCSI on FreeBSD is stable enough for
> > time machine use. How much duct tape and baling wire are needed
> > to make it work?!
>
> There was a fine discussion about this here:
>
>   http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/ZFS-vs-OSX-Time-Machine-td4346562.html

Thanks. I think I saw it back then.... Nothing new since then?