Status of support for 4KB disk sectors

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Wed Jul 20 03:14:34 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 02:39:28AM -0700, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually, Sun used customised CD-ROM drives that faked 512-byte
> > > sectors to work around their lack of support for anything else.
> >
> > Hmm-- my brain could be fuzzy about things twenty-plus years
> > ago.  But I remember booting a Sun3_35 or _60 from a non-Sun
> > or Sun OEM'ed SCSI CD-ROM drive, probably a Plextor?
>
> IIRC, Plextor (and maybe some others) had a switch to select 512 or
> 2048 as the default transfer size, precisely so that they could be
> used as boot devices with systems that supported only 512.

I don't think Plextor was around back then; they used to be called TEXEL
back in the early 90s.  The only Sun SCSI CD drives I saw were external
and caddy-based, so I mentally correlate them with NEC.  Back then I
wasn't looking at brands as much as I do today, though.

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |