Carp seems completely broken on 8.2-RC2 and 8.2-PRERELEASE

Paul Schenkeveld freebsd at psconsult.nl
Mon Jan 17 13:48:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 02:24:54PM +0100, Paul Schenkeveld wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 12:14:14PM +0200, Ari Suutari wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 16.1.2011 14:41, Paul Schenkeveld wrote:
> > >
> > > This is the kernel config for test1 and test2:
> > >
> > >      include         GENERIC
> > >      device          carp
> >
> > Could this be the cause ? In 8.2 it is no longer necessary
> > to build custom kernel as carp can be loaded as module.
> > I have carp running on two 8.2-RC1 machines without
> > problems, I just have
> >
> > cloned_interfaces="carp0"
> >
> > in my /etc/rc.conf in addition to normal carp stuff.
>
> Installen a new, true GENERIC kernel, I see that if-carp.ko is loaded
> automagically, same result.
>
> Looks like the MAC address of the carp interfaces are not added to the
> MAC filter in my sis interfaces.  I'm now building a GENERIC kernel
> without if_sis and see what happens if I kldload if_sis.ko from 8.1.

Too bad, if_sis.ko built on 8.1 doesn't load on 8.2:

    link_elf: symbol ether_poll_deregister undefined
    kldload: can't load if_sis.ko: No such file or directory

I'll see if I can replace the sis3/sis4 card in those Soekris boxes
with something else just to rule out changes to sis(4).

Regards,

Paul Schenkeveld