NFS - DNS fail stops boot in mountlate

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Fri Jan 7 16:26:09 UTC 2011

Hi,
Reference:

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Friday, January 07, 2011 10:29:22 am Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > > I've seen a regression in 8 at work where NFS mounts seem to fail on DNS on
> > > every boot (we have a small number of mounts, < 10) whereas 7 worked fine on
> > > every boot.  I haven't tracked it down yet, but 8 is certainly more fragile
> > > than 7 for mounting NFS on boot.
> >
> > /etc/defaults/rc.conf has	nfs_server_flags="-u -t -n 4"
> >
> > Once I had a server with example	 /etc/rc.conf -n 10
> > & had problems when I added partions beyond eg 10 ...
> > so I suggest check rc.conf against fstab & /etc/exports
>
> That should not matter for establishing mounts.  Also, keep in mind that 7
> worked fine with the same settings.  In fact, I'm just booting an 8 kernel
> on the same 7 userland currently and it's only the 8 kernel that has the
> problem (a pure 8 system also has the same symptoms, so it's not a problem
> due to mixing a 7 world with 8 kernel).
>
> --
> John Baldwin

OK, I have no /etc/fstab direct invoked NFS mounts,
	Just AMD & NFS invoked (on mixed net of Releases: 8,7,6,4
	I guess my DNS has longer to start (or my AMD+NFS falls back
	to other hosts already running DNS)
Good luck tracing it.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
	Mail plain text;  Not quoted-printable, or HTML or base 64.