NFSv4 - how to set up at FreeBSD 8.1 ?

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 16:32:29 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 3:42 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 January 2011 10:50, Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca> wrote:
> After reading this thread, I tried NFSv4 today..
>
> Whenever I tried to mount from a linux client, I get:
>  mount -o vers=4 server4:/pool/backup/sites/m /mnt
> NFS compound failed for server server4: error 7 (RPC: Authentication error)
> NFS compound failed for server server4: error 7 (RPC: Authentication error)
> NFS compound failed for server server4: error 7 (RPC: Authentication error)
> NFS compound failed for server server4: error 7 (RPC: Authentication error)
> NFS compound failed for server server4: error 7 (RPC: Authentication error)
> NFS compound failed for server server4: error 7 (RPC: Authentication error)
> nfs mount: mount: /mnt: Permission denied
>
> with NFS v3 it mounts just fine
>
> any ideas?

NFSv4 mounts are relative to the filesystem being exported.  NFSv3
mounts are absolute paths on the server.

IOW, if you export /pool/backup/sites/m/ on the server, then the mount
line on the client is just:
  mount -o vers=4 server4:/ /mnt

If you export / on the server, then the mount line on the client would be:
  mount -o vers=4 server4:/pool/backup/sites/m/ /mnt

This tripped me up when I tried converting my NFSv3 setup at home to NFSv4.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com