NFSv4 - how to set up at FreeBSD 8.1 ?

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Tue Jan 4 12:49:38 UTC 2011

> After reading this thread, I tried NFSv4 today..
>
> Whenever I tried to mount from a linux client, I get:
> mount -o vers=4 server4:/pool/backup/sites/m /mnt
> NFS compound failed for server server4: error 7 (RPC: Authentication
> error)
> NFS compound failed for server server4: error 7 (RPC: Authentication
> error)
> NFS compound failed for server server4: error 7 (RPC: Authentication
> error)
> NFS compound failed for server server4: error 7 (RPC: Authentication
> error)
> NFS compound failed for server server4: error 7 (RPC: Authentication
> error)
> NFS compound failed for server server4: error 7 (RPC: Authentication
> error)
> nfs mount: mount: /mnt: Permission denied
>
> with NFS v3 it mounts just fine
>
> any ideas?

Hmm, try adding "sec=sys" and a network specification to the V4: line
in /etc/exports. I had thought the default was "sec=sys" and "the world",
but maybe I'm wrong w.r.t. the defaults. (I always specify them in my
V4: lines.) For example:
V4: / -sec=sys -network 192.168.138.0 -netmask 255.255.255.0

(You'll need to send a HUP signal to mountd after the change.)

If that doesn't work, capture a packet trace of the mount attempt via:
  tcpdump -s 0 -w xxx host server4
and email me "xxx" (or look at it yourself with wireshark) to see what
Linux is attempting that is failing. (If for some reason Linux is trying
to use krb5, that would also explain the failure. I have no idea if Linux
might decide krb5 should be the default for NFSv4.)

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes, rick