8.2-PRERELEASE and Flash

Alex Goncharov alex-goncharov at comcast.net
Tue Jan 4 16:27:44 UTC 2011

[ Suggest not to cc: freebsd-stable@ from this point on; freebsd-ports@
is added ]

,--- You/ben (Tue, 04 Jan 2011 15:16:26 +0000) ----*
| I've followed the steps at
| http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/desktop-browsers.html without any
| errors, except that neither Firefox nor any other browser will play
| flash movies. about:plugins doesn't show a flash plugin.

| I've spent a while googling and all I can find is variations on the
| instructions from the handbook. I don't know where to start looking for
| the problem.

I play Flash in Firefox, (native) Opera and Chrome -- perfectly now.

For Firefox, the instructions in the Handbook worked for me.

| I'd be really grateful to whoever could point me in the right direction.

Search freebsd-ports@ for "opera", "flash" and my name -- I was a part of
a conversation about it, some three months ago.

Running Opera with -debugplugin helps.

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov at comcast.net --