8.2-PRERELEASE and Flash

Marco van Tol marco at tols.org
Tue Jan 4 16:10:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 03:16:26PM +0000, ben paley wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been using FreeBSD since 3.4 but I've been away for a while. Now
> I've put 8.2 on an old laptop, and everything's lovely except power
> management (I'll get round to that eventually) and the Flash plug in.
>
> I've followed the steps at
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/desktop-browsers.html without any
> errors, except that neither Firefox nor any other browser will play
> flash movies. about:plugins doesn't show a flash plugin.
>
> I've spent a while googling and all I can find is variations on the
> instructions from the handbook. I don't know where to start looking for
> the problem.
>
> I'd be really grateful to whoever could point me in the right direction.

What I usually do is install the freebsd native firefox through
/usr/ports/www/firefox, and plug flash into it using:
  /usr/ports/www/nspluginwrapper
  /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10

Further details about this can be found at:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/desktop-browsers.html

On that page search for "6.2.3 Firefox and Macromedia"

I am currently using this on 8.2-prerelease, and have been using it this
way for the passed year or so.  It works great.  The only caveat is that
sometimes you have to "pkill npviewer".  You'll know when to do that by
seeing your browser become very sluggish.  Doesn't happen as often as it
did anymore.

Marco

--
Micro$oft: Where do you want to go today?
FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?