8.2-RELEASE pf rules not loading

Josh Carroll josh.carroll at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 18:05:24 UTC 2011

> Hi All,
>            Just upgraded my home machine to 8.2-RELEASE via
> freebsd-update remotely (spare time at work.) and on reboot my pf
> ruleset isnt being loaded. running '/etc/rc.d/pf start' once its booted
> does start it fine though. Any suggestions on debugging or shall i just
> try a verbose boot and watch the console when I get home?
> I still have
>
> pf_enable="YES"                  # Set to YES to enable packet filter (pf)
> pflog_enable="YES"               # Set to YES to enable packet filter
> logging
>
> in /etc/rc.conf

Is your interface dynamic (e.g. using DHCP)? If so, you might try changing:

ifconfig_<ifacename>="DHCP"

ifconfig_<ifacename>="SYNCDHCP"

It's possible the network hasn't come up properly yet or there is no
IP assigned.

Failing that, you can set:

rc_debug="YES"

in rc.conf then watch at boot time if there are any odd messages when
it attempts to start pf.

Josh