ZFS - abysmal performance with samba since upgrade to 8.2-RELEASE

Joshua Boyd boydjd at jbip.net
Thu Feb 24 17:15:49 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 2:55 AM, Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 08:30:17AM +0100, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I've recently upgraded my home box from 8.2-PRE to 8.2-RELEASE and since
>> then I've been experiencing *abysmal* performance with samba.
>>
>> We're talking transfer rates of say 50kbytes/s here, and I'm the only
>> client on the box.
>
> I have a similar system with significantly less disks (two pools, one
> disk each; yes, no redundancy).  The system can push, via SMB/CIFS
> across the network about 65-70MBytes/sec, and 80-90MByte/sec via FTP.
> I'll share with you my tunings for Samba, ZFS, and the system.  I spent
> quite some time messing with different values in Samba and FreeBSD to
> find out what got me the "best" performance without destroying the
> system horribly.

Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for this post. These settings seem to have fixed my Samba
configuration. I had configured with AIO previously, but apparently my
tunings weren't spot on.  I'd get buffering over 100Mbit with 1080p
video, but 720p video would work just fine. Looks like this is what I
needed to be able to ditch using DLNA for streaming to my Popbox!

--
Joshua Boyd
JBipNet

E-mail: boydjd at jbip.net