Removing all ZFS support from boot process

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 11:52:15 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 11 February 2011 11:33, Mark Powell <M.S.Powell at salford.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
[...]
>  I suspected BIOS, that's why I was going to get a new motherboard. I've
> always had problems getting gptzfsboot working on this hardware and there
> are no more BIOS updates now. That's why I have ufs root, as it only worked
> intermitantly.

>  Then I wondered what the hell was going on in the loader that took >60s and
> seemingly touched every drive. I assumed it was FBSD that was tasting all
> the drives.
>  Cheers.

AFAIK if you have gptzfsboot on your drives it will probe the
partitions on your drives, which can take a while. So if you suspect
ZFS it might really be an option to replace gptzfsboot with gptboot.
I recently changed the configuration of my home server from 1x80GiB
SATA HDD (booting & /-pool) and 4x400GiB PATA HDD for zraid-Pool on
geli to 2x2TiB SATA HDD with gmirrored /boot and the rest for a geli
encrypted zmirror (including /). For me it feels as if it takes a few
seconds longer for the loader to appear. The latter uses GPT and
labels where possible.

HTH
Christian