ACPI broke going from 8 to 9

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Sat Dec 31 17:57:16 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 10:26:09AM -0700, Dan Allen wrote:
> (** Originally posted to freebsd-current at freebsd.org but I noticed that there are 9.0 RC3 questions here on freebsd-stable; I am not sure which forum is appropriate. **)
>
> I just upgraded my Dell OptiPlex GX270 from RELENG_8 to RELENG_9.  The machine no longer boots.  However, if I put
>
>  hint.acpi.0.disabled=1
>
> in /boot/loader.conf then the machine runs fine.  With RELENG_8 the machine had no loader.conf, and the power button worked on my desktop machine.  Now with ACPI disabled my power button does not work.  I have found that the machine hangs at boot during a scan of the PCI bus, but if I disable that (hw.acpi.disable=pci) then the machine cannot find a boot drive.
>
> So I have lost functionality that worked fine in BSD 8.

Do you have a necessary reason to upgrade to 9 given this situation?
Given the conditions I would stay you should stay with 8.

> Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Provide full output from a verbose boot so developers can try to figure
out where the problem is.  You will either need serial console or
firewire console for this task, as the amount of text will be too much
to type in (many, many screens worth).  Simply showing a photo of the
last screen where it locks up may not be sufficient.

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |