ACPI broke going from 8 to 9

Dan Allen danallen46 at airwired.net
Sat Dec 31 17:52:52 UTC 2011

(** Originally posted to freebsd-current at freebsd.org but I noticed that there are 9.0 RC3 questions here on freebsd-stable; I am not sure which forum is appropriate. **)

I just upgraded my Dell OptiPlex GX270 from RELENG_8 to RELENG_9.  The machine no longer boots.  However, if I put

 hint.acpi.0.disabled=1

in /boot/loader.conf then the machine runs fine.  With RELENG_8 the machine had no loader.conf, and the power button worked on my desktop machine.  Now with ACPI disabled my power button does not work.  I have found that the machine hangs at boot during a scan of the PCI bus, but if I disable that (hw.acpi.disable=pci) then the machine cannot find a boot drive.

So I have lost functionality that worked fine in BSD 8.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan Allen