Fw: zfs snapshot: Bad file descriptor

Gerrit Kühn gerrit at pmp.uni-hannover.de
Thu Aug 25 10:26:21 UTC 2011

Sorry for crossposting, but I got no answer at all from freebsd-fs. Anyone
in here having any ideas/suggestions on this?

cu
  Gerrit

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 17:02:55 +0200
From: Gerrit Kühn <gerrit at pmp.uni-hannover.de>
To: freebsd-fs at freebsd.org
Subject: zfs snapshot: Bad file descriptor

Hi all,

since upgrading some of my storage machines to recent 8.2-stable and
zfs-v28 I see the following on some filesystems after some time of
operation:

---
mclane# ll /tank/home/pt/.zfs
ls: snapshot: Bad file descriptor
total 0
---

I make quite heavy use of snapshots on all my machines and use rsync to
backup snapshots to other machines.
Googleing around I found several people reporting similar problems, but no
real solution (apart from rebooting, which is not really a thing you want
to do every time you run into this).
Is there any knowledge/ideas available over the list here how to improve
this situation? Am I just one of the few unlucky people who see this, or is
there an actual reason for this happening that could be fixed or
circumvented?

cu
  Gerrit